Your Privacy Rights
Jane Southren Consulting is responsible for the personal information we collect and hold. To ensure this accountability, we have developed this policy, and trained our people about our policies and practices.
Personal information is any information that identifies you, or by which your identity could be deduced. If we did not collect and use your personal information, we could not provide you with consulting or advisory services.
Jane Southren Consulting provides consulting services to a wide range of clients. In doing so, we produce direct marketing materials concerning our services and developments. We collect information only by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
Wherever possible we collect your personal information directly from you.
Sometimes we may obtain information about you from other sources, for example:
- business broker;
- a government agency or registry;
- your accountant or other advisors.
In most cases, we shall ask you to specifically consent, if we collect, use, or disclose your personal information. Normally, we ask for your consent in writing, but in some circumstances, we may accept your oral consent. Sometimes, your consent may be implied through your conduct with us.
Use of Your Information
We use your personal information to provide consulting and advisory services to you, and to include you in any direct marketing activities. If you tell us that you no longer wish to receive information about our services we will not send any further material.
Jane Southren Consulting does not disclose your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services.
Disclosure of Information
Under certain circumstances, Jane Southren Consulting will disclose your personal information:Under certain circumstances, Jane Southren Consulting will disclose your personal information:
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena;
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- when the consulting and advisory services we are providing to you requires us to give your information to third parties, your consent will be implied, unless you tell us otherwise;
- where it is necessary to establish or collect fees;
- if we retain other consultants at your request, and on your behalf;
- if the information is Publicly Available Personal Information, as it is defined under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Since we use your personal information to provide consulting services, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date.
If during the course of our work together any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes.
Security of Information
Jane Southren Consulting takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- premises security;
- restricted file access to personal information;
- deploying technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access;
- internal password and security policies.
Access to Information
You may ask for access to any personal information we hold about you. Summary information is available on request. More detailed requests which require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to our normal professional and disbursement fees.
If Jane Southren Consulting holds information about you and you can establish that it is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, Jane Southren Consulting will take reasonable steps to correct it.
Denial of Access
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. We may deny access when:
- it is required or authorized by law;
- to do so would reveal confidential commercial information, and the personal information cannot be severed from the record;
- to do so could reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual, and the personal information cannot be severed from the record; or
- the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process.
If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct information, we shall explain why. Jane Southren Consulting does not use your Social Insurance Number as a way of identifying or organizing the information we hold upon you.
Whenever it is legal and practicable, we may offer the opportunity to deal with general inquiries without providing your name (for example, by accessing general information on our website).
However, professional and statutory obligations, such as the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, requires us to confirm the identity of all new clients. It may also require us disclose information to FINTRAC in relation to certain large cash transactions.
To help us make credit decisions about clients, prevent fraud, check the identity of new clients and prevent money-laundering, we may – with your consent – request information about you from the files of consumer reporting agencies.
Communicating with Jane Southren Consulting
You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
Requests for Access
If you have any
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada can be reached at 112 Kent Street, Ottawa Ontario, K1A 1H3, 1.800.282.1376.
Talent and Opportunities
If you apply to Jane Southren Consulting for a job, we need to consider your personal information, as part of our review process. We normally retain information from candidates after a decision has been made, unless you ask us not to retain the information. If we offer you a job, which you accept, the information will be retained in accordance with our privacy procedures for employee records.
On our website, like most other commercial websites, we may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimize our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable personal information.